Monday 6 May 2013

The Road - Concrete Words

I was thinking about writing all about my life's road, the ups and downs, twists and turns, the beautiful stretches with cow-studded scenery. But no. I'm going to take the theme literally and write about a literal, actual, tarmac road.

At 17 I thought I ruled the world. Despite failing my driving test I paraded round in a little Renault 5 (GTS whatever that may mean, Goose Towing System?) with a friend 'supervising' me. It was fun. I drove too fast, panicked at busy roundabouts and thought a crash would never happen, how could it? It would never happen to me.

But, inevitably, it did. The scar on my hand is a painful reminder not to drive fast. In fact, for many years, a reason not to drive at all. I could have died. I could have killed people. I could have been the person the radio people talked about 'Avoid the A329, there's been an accident and traffic is queued right back to Bracknell'. That's hundreds of peoples minor delay. That's somebodies life.

9 years later, after my survival, I am ready to drive again. A much calmer, much more aware, much slower driver. Time is ticking down til I am insured on our great, big family car, my theory test is booked, my nerves are steely. Or aluminum-y. I am ready to go but, most importantly, ready to stop.

I'd like to see a few more cows please.



Linking up with six in the sticks and concrete words.

5 comments:

  1. SO proud of you for getting back on the road, you are so brave and this will change your whole world. I will take you out driving and we'll see some cows. Fantastic post Meg xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'd like to see a few more cows please" Oh, yes, friend, living slower--it's what God intended for us, yes? I'm glad you are finding your courage again! Good for you! I know what it's like to have wrecks at a young age. I had a few--but I must have been gutsy or a dare devil, because I kept driving! Blessings on your new venture and thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we have to learn through painful experience how to drive down these life roads - so glad you were o.k.:) "Much more away, much slower driver" sounds like a good way to live a life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Meg, for developing the nerves of steel/aluminium that make you ready to drive again. You could so easily have given up at the first hurdle. Being "ready to go, but most importantly, ready to stop" would serve well as a motto for life and exercising due caution where required. Hope all goes well with the mooo-toring and cow spotting! :)x

    ReplyDelete